Sunday, May 29, 2016

Tripping through the Balkans (pt.3)

For the moment it seems as if time has softened its grip; every memory from this place is all jumbled together like one long day. Its been 5 days since I crossed the Albanian-Macedonia border. I was supposed to leave yesterday but here I am contemplating another. 

To say that Ohrid is a special place would be a huge understament. 
I don't want to leave. This whole place feels like one big postcard and the people I've met here have placed a huge accent on the back of that card. 


We didn't stay long at Sunny Lake Hostel, there was nothing wrong but when we heard about Robinson's Sunset House I knew that we had to stay there. When we got to Robinson's all we saw was a rocky hill that led into the forest. I kept scanning the lot and there it was, carved into the mountain 100 feet up. The hike was tough especially with all my gear but when we finally made it to the top it was all worth it. 


Again, all of that seems like such a lifetime ago. Misha and his father have created something beautiful up here and I'm not just talking about the accommodations. From the canoes down by the lake, or the homemade rakja that never seemed to end each night, Robinson's Sunset House will forever be etched into my memory.  


I'm currently sitting on the balcony right in front of my room and still I can't believe this view. There is about 20 more minutes of sunlight. There's a gentle breeze blowing from the west, the sound of waves crashing down below, and a few sighs coming from deep within my soul. Tomorrow the group will disperse, I will go to Bulgaria, some to Greece, others Albania, and a few will stay here. 




Macedonia: 
I don't have the right words to describe you. They seem lost maybe somewhere along the trails below your mountains or possibly floating down your tiny ocean. Till then I will continue to search and maybe next time I'm here I'll be able to find them. 













h'vala

No comments:

Post a Comment