Saturday, September 17, 2011

helsinki it is.

it pains me look at the clock. and more painful than that is thinking about the last 4 hours. i could've been in tallinn, inside my highly rated hostel, eating a warm meal and perhaps sipping on a cold beer. i was so close, the agent had given me my boarding pass, the seat 19d. 
my boarding pass got within a few inches of the scanner; that was the closest it would ever get. a few seconds later it lay on a counter torn into small pieces, just like my hope. 

back in san francisco, the boarding agent gate had gate checked my roller bag and i completely forgot that i left my ZED tickets inside. for those who aren't familiar with ZED tickets, they are paper tickets that act as money for whichever corresponding airline you are trying to fly on. i knew i was doomed since we were boarding from a remote gate. there was no way that they were going to find my bag and bring it up in time for me to catch the flight to tallinn.
the next flight to tallinn didn't leave until the next day and i did not want to spend the night in frankfurt airport. the boarding agent then suggested another option; flying to helsinki, finland.

i didnt think about it much. in my mind, things usually follow the same logic; and that is asking myself "why not?" the flight didn't leave until another 5 hours but it sounded better than staying another 20 hours in frankfurt until the next flight to tallinn.

so now, i'm on a plane, currently working on my second warfteiner not knowing what to think. it'll be midnight by the time i land in helsinki so it doesn't make sense in my world to head into the city at night and search for a hotel/hostel. this means that i will be adding one more airport in which i've slept in. 
here lies the beauty of traveling, especially when it's only you, yourself, and yee. expect everything, because anything can happen. plans and itineraries are as good as the weather. i landed in germany this morning thinking i was going to tallinn and now my boarding pass says helsinki. let's see how the next journal entry ends  

No comments:

Post a Comment