Monday, July 7, 2014

rio de janeiro: dia 1

The flight landed 20 minutes early. half hour later, i cleared customs and immigration. countless stantions were strewn across the airport but no bodies to fill them with. Something tells me that this is not the norm. I make my way through the corridor of welcome, the point where people hold signs with names, the place where the people hug and kiss. Taxi drivers are hawks and quickly spot me. I quicken my pace and walk outside. A blue bus called the real bus is what I'm scanning for; I find it. I wait about 10 minutes and off I go. The busses in rio are nuts in a tokyo drift kind of way.

I have some what of a rough sketch of where the bus is supposed to go and stop. Still, I miss my stop but manage to find my hostel with ease. The hostel is a story in it of itself, one which I've included in the post below.

An hour later I was gone and on the road again.

Here's the thing about the busses in rio, if you don't deliberately waive them down to the point where it almost becomes a fist pump, they will not stop! It took me a few tries but I finally caught one.

Another hour on the bus and I finally reached my hostel. The staff was great.  I was given a key to my room but most importantly the door had a knob!

The rest of the day I spent it walking through Ipanemas' board walk, had myself an amazing dinner with an even more amazing dessert! Some kind of coconut pudding cake. Bomb

I met some chill Americans at the hostel, had some local brew. Laughter and insults followed. I was in my bed by 11pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment