Saturday, August 2, 2014

fool me once...


a few weeks ago i found myself in the warm and soft beaches of bali, indonesia. in a short 4-day span, i managed to enjoy most of what bali has to offer:
hit the bustling night-life of kuta.

 
layed out.

hopped on a questionable moped and cruised inland to the countryside for some rice paddy and ancient temple action.


and of course, i did alot of the eating. lots


i wish i could say that this trip ended well but it didn't.

long story short, i had a severe case of food poisoning. the pain was real. 
what made it worse was that it all started on the day i was to make my trip back los angeles, which included:
6-hour flight to sydney
5-hour layover 
14-hour flight to the states 
it was bad. 

not sure why i'm describing my ordeal but i'm doing it anyway. the sickness began like this:

feeling like a million bucks!

but then...

muscles and tendons, starting from my neck working themselves to my lower back and calves began to tense-up.
a few hours later the joints in all of my bones began to swell as if they were calcifying.
simple movements painful.

--- 6-hour flight to sydney---
i wake up mid-flight and i'm burning up yet i'm shaking from how cold i am.
a terrible headache begins to emerge just as the sun begins to rise from my window pane.

---5-hour layover in sydney---
the headache has now taken over and its become a blistering fever. 
i am weak and for the next few hours i curl up in a fetal position.

minimal movement 
its time to board and i can barely walk; luckily i'm in good company. brianne and jenny prop me up and try to make me look decent in order to avoid quarantine. a few dodgy stares and clumsy stumbles later i was in my seat. barely

---14-hour flight to la---
the headache and fever still rages but i manage to fall asleep. 
i wake up and my shirt is completely drenched as if i'd had fallen in a pool. it was gross
headache still going strong, i ask jenny for an aspirin. it helps
i fall asleep again 2 more times and same result. i'm drenched 

---home---
the fever works its course and when i land and drive home everything seems to be feeling better.
...but then the diarrhea kicks in. hard 
the next 3 days my body rejects everything, even water. nothing stays
at the end of it all i lost 10 lbs. and i'm sure some chunks of my lower intestine.

ok, so what's the moral of the story?
i don't know. but i guess its take a second look at your food. especially when you're in indonesia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment